Ways to Help Your Kindergartner
There are many skills your child will be working on this year. Many will be worked on in school, but there are some things you can do at home to help them along.
Things You Can Work With Your Child On At Home:
* Saying his or her first AND last name.
* Writing his or her first name or attempt to.
*How to tell an adult if something is wrong.
*How to tell an adult when he/she needs help.
*Taking care of basic needs on own (restroom, tissues, handwashing, etc.)
* Using scissors and glue correctly.
* Reading often (you read to them, they pretend to read)
* Sing the alphabet.
* Follow 2-step directions.
* Sing/recite nursery rhymes.
* Counting to 20
* Tying their shoes on their own. (It's tricky and takes time)
* Taking turns and sharing.
* Using manners and being polite. (please, thank you)
* Showing respect (putting things away, not "talking back", etc.)
* Knowing their phone number (or the primary parent's cell number)
* Knowing their address (apt or house #, street, town, state)